Old 27-04-2007, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Times past

I was just thinking about my younger days when we didn't have fruit
and veg flown in from all round the world.
We used to grow dwarf French beans as they would crop 2 weeks earlier
than runner beans sown on the same date. French beans take 10 weeks
from sowing to picking whilst runners are 12 weeks.
We used to pick Broad bean pods when they were finger size and slice
them like runner beans, the first green beans of the season.
The first English Strawberries would make £1.00 a pound as would the
first English tomatoes.
Eggs were always more expensive in the winter as the chickens in those
days tended to stop laying in the winter.
Ah! Those were the days.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries