Old 27-04-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Garden banter

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/4/07 12:56, in article ,
" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 27/4/07 09:12, in article ,
" wrote:

snip

Copyright doesn't have to be stated to exist. Just about everything
one writes is automatically copyright and this applies to newsgroup
postings as much as anything else. However because of the public
nature of newsgroups it's accepted that their contents are fairly
freely quotable without infringing the original writer's copyright.

At least this is my understanding.

I think we all know that is the case but what some of us object to is
the
freeloading for commercial purposes. They're 'stealing' other peoples'
knowledge, information, experiences and using them to promote their own
interests and they haven't even asked if they may do so. It's shabby
and
greedy, as are those who endorse it, not that many here do.

Quite, but I suspect that there's little one can do about it except
possibly to join Gardenbanter and make one's case there in the hope
that its readers will move to Usenet proper.

Up to now, this group has tended to approach things from the opposite pov
and encourage those who post from Gardenbanter here, to join urg direct.
That way they'll see everything, rather than what Gardenbanter chooses for
them to see.

What is interesting is that on the home page there is this:
"The comments are property of their posters. "

So they are at least acknowledging your/my copyright.

But ignoring it. Some time ago, I wrote telling them that I don't want
them
to print my articles and that they do not have my permission to do so. I
know at least one other person did the same. Because I don't earn a
living
writing here there is no point in suing them because I can't show that I
am
losing by their actions.
All I can do is express my contempt for them.

and get hot under the collar every time Garden banter is mentioned.

Poor poor sad sad old woman :-((

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk