Old 27-04-2007, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Times past

In article . com, Dave
Hill writes

I do think it's madness when in the middle of the summer with runner
beans growing everywhere you go into a supermarket and see sliced
runner beans from Zimbabwe,

I thought there were trade restrictions on Zimbabwe?

If we import food then it seems to me that the country exporting it will
concentrate on feeding us rather than it s own people? It's no good
saying that the income will be higher, that money is more than likely
hived off anyway.

It's the same over here.
By importing foodstuffs from cheaper sources, we undermine our own
growers, who then give up and diversify into leisure areas or exotic
stuff and the land is no longer used for our own food.
We can also regulate the way we grow in this country, controlling
pesticides etc and welfare for farm animals., but we have no control
over that overseas!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph