Old 27-04-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Sticky pots, or should I say bags!

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:10:30 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Hi V

I was glad Ann answered you about the beetles - hopefully they won't like it
by you. A friend just grows lilies as annuals now and considers anything
that makes a second season a bonus.

I'm just getting into hosta and find crushed shells to work as a deterrent.
But I can't help you with the heat.

You heard the expression that everything is bigger in Texas, right?
Well, our snails and slugs are on steroids. Huge, thub sized slugs,
and snails. So, the combination of heat and stress caused the the
pest damage (whichever comes first doesn't matter) they simply don't
thrive here. I have very good soil, but the pH is still on the high
side of neutral at 7.4 and Hostas want it lower.

On the other hand, there are fabulous plants I can plant which are
perennial here, but up there would die in August from the cold! LOL
One such plant is persicaria. I have several lof them and they are
just beauties. I think I'm going to try and root some so I can plant
more of them.

BTW, I bought another plant today. I'm too lazy to get up to look,
but it is a new form of portulaca with an open flower, single, pink
with a darker throat. I'm doomed. I almost can't wait for the heat
when we hide indoors as you do in winter and I can get back to
stitching. I'm making the Winter Sampler for my MIL for LAST
Christmas! We're going up to Green Bay in September and we paid a
fortune for Packer tickets home opener.