Old 27-04-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner William Wagner is offline

Default Why do "dandy lions" get such a bad rap?

In article
,
William Rose wrote:

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

" wrote in
oups.com:

It is the time of year I dread. My yard is the only one in the
neighborhood with "dandy lions." I tried digging them out, but they
came back. I do not want to use chemicals. The flowers are really a
nice yellow. Why do people like to avoid them? Is it a plot on the
part of chemical companies? Having lived in Arizona for a good part of
my life, I like any plant that grows.

Tom

I like them myself. My horses love them. So do the rabbits. That's
seven votes for dandelions here and I leave them be. However, they
spread easier than melted butter and neighbors who fight to get them out
of their lawn might not be inclined to think they're so cute in your
lawn. Fortunately, we don't have that problem here. The biggest crime
in Indiana seems to be to not cutting your lawn weekly, not one dotted
with dandelions.

Champion of the dandelion here. Sorry I'm late. Dandelion salad used to
be severed around President's Day. Therefore it is blatantly un-American
to kill this patriotic plant. After President's Day, it still gives
flavor to salads made from the living-dead lettuce purchased in stores.
It ezz not just for zee French anymore. It is a mild diuretic for folks
with high blood-pressure and, a good source for vitamins C and A,
potassium and, calcium. It strengthens the liver and the gall-bladder.
In it's spare time, it can also improve barren soil. So stay that
malicious blade and give praise to our friend, the dandelion.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

I live 8 miles from the Dandelion capitol of the world. Vineland
N.J. Largest city in NJ area wise.

Greens Good

Bill

--