Old 27-04-2007, 10:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Data Data is offline

Default Overgrown shrub

On 22 Apr, 19:40, Nil wrote:
I've got a hugely overgrown yew shrub/tree by my front steps. It's at
least 10 or 11 feet tall, and quite too big around. Can I prune it back
to 6 or seven feet and maybe take some off the diameter, without
killing it? Will any deformed areas caused by pruning eventually get
covered up by new growth?

If you cut the Yew back to the main trunk, it will eventually re-
shoot. What they do not like is -as has been stated - just cutting the
branches back to 'dead' wood.
You can cut it (the main trunk) off near to ground level to re-
juvenate it. But, be prepared for a bit of a wait for it to start to
sprout. When is does, it will re-grow quite quickly, as it will have
the root system in place to sustain quite rapid growth. And thereafter
you can control it annually with a light trim.
Hope this helps
Regards
Data
www.gardenseeker.com