Old 27-04-2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Long, thin, black critter

There are a number of people who spend a great deal of time to find
the most exotic color or elaborate fins of some fish. They revel in
the knowledge that their fish is somehow unique in the annals of pond
keeping. I just have a long, thin, black critter called "Bob." Since
"snake" has such negative connotations for many it shall henceforth be
referred to as an SBR (Southern Black Racer). We just missed (it got
down to 33 here) the freeze in early April so the plants are very
happy, except there has been very little rain here, so many of them
died. At least they died happy. The pond would have dried out by
now, except for the garden hose I run in it. I sure didn't have to
last year. That fire up in Waycross, Georgia is a few counties and a
state from here, so I'm in no danger from it, but the Suwannee River
(for which this county is named and bordered by) rises up there. The
whole Suwannee River valley is quite simply parched.
--
Galen Hekhuis
"Mistakes were made"