Old 28-04-2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Coffee Plants

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:37:38 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

From WEEDS IN MY GARDEN:

"...When I was in New Orleans some years ago I found the beverage made from
[chickory root] to my liking, particularly as a change from ordinary
coffee. I have since learned that one brand of coffee with chicory as well
as pure chicory may be purchased locally. It makes an extremely dark
brew."

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1743...253205,00.html
DANDELION AND - OR CHICKORY "COFFEE"
Dig the roots. Scrub them thoroughly. Roast in slow (300 degree) oven until
brown all the way through...several hours. Grind. Brew into "coffee" type
drink just as you would brew true coffee.

http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/coffee.../a/chicory.htm
"... Many coffee producers offer blends with up to 30% chicory, which cuts
down on the caffeine content of your cup. But many folk enjoy a cup of
'coffee' made entirely from ground, roasted chicory."

In the Internet, it must be so. In a magazine, must be so. Go buy
some and use it as coffee. Get back when you do.