Old 28-04-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bluebell[_3_] bluebell[_3_] is offline

Default Biblical Plants

"K" wrote in message
bluebell writes

Which do you have?

Does it matter what I have? The OP asked if there were any plants which
available in Britain which are Biblical.

I have something called a Rose of Sharron. Rose of Sharron is Bibliucal.

But not perhaps the same plant which is called Rose of Sharon in the
Bible? That was one of the points of Stewart's posting.

I am an expert on the Bible as it happens. . You will have to go a long way
to establish what on earth any plant in the Bible would be in modern
parlance. They were not botanically trained. For them, any plant they
called the Rose of Sharon would be the the Rose of Sharon. So Biblically I
am correct. But thats another issue. No one will ever really know what
plant was the Rose of Sharon. The best you can do is find a plant that has
than name now - which is precisely what I suggested.

It remains a fact I have one and I can grow plants , regardless of
whether
my knowldege is correct.

It helps if knowledge is correct if it's being shared with other people.
I have never come across Rose of Sharon being used for a hebe, and the
most common use of Rose of Sharon is for Hypericum, which is certainly not
in the hebe family. If the OP buys a hebe in the belief that he is buying
the biblical Rose of Sharon, he's not getting what he wanted.

I would suggest that anyone buying any plant would be best advised just to
look at the label if they want the name of it. Its usually there id they are
buying new plants. Having said that the experts in nurseries cannot be
trusted. I have purchanced a " dafne" which turned out to be a willow. It
was winter and it was not in leaf so I couldnt tell.

I have had several other " surprise purchaces. But they are all plants. They
can all be beautiful. You dont need their names for that. Thats my point.

And there is your response, to Stewart's perfectly polite post showing
that some of your information was totally incorrect. It would seem you too
aspire to be a modern gardener.

On that we would have to differ. I thought he was rude. There are ways of
saying things and ways things have been said.

Had he started off by simply saying, " Are you sure you have that right, I
think...." ( which is actually very Biblical in terms of approach) and
then gave his lengthy exposition of knowledge. Real politeness costs
nothing.
But his way was the modern aggressive version. I am getting tired of
modern agression.
Maybe thats why I spend my time on my smallholding/ garden?

By the way, I also have qualifications ( like a degree) in botany and in
horticulture to level 4. I made a mistake on that plant. Its easy to do. I
am human. Its not one I deal with every day as I tend to grow peonies ,
roses, various species of bluebell , lots of herbs and a lot of medicinal
plants of various kinds.

As for the rest. I ventured here once. I will not be doing so again. I was
hurt by the way he said what he said. I am hurt by your condoning that
approach. I dont need that. Once bitten as they say.