Old 28-04-2007, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Paul is offline

Default Old Tropical Fish Tank Water Safe To Use On Plants?

In message , MELANIE
MCDONALD writes
I use the water from our water changes on the garden and the plants seem to
appreciate it!
And as for never doing any water changes - I wouldnt have liked to be one of
the fish in your tank/s! Partial (never full) water changes and regular
gravel vaccing are necessary otherwise you'd get a huge build up of ammonia
and nitrate over a period of months/years and I'd say that Ford sounds like
a responsible fish keeper if he does regular partial changes!
Mel.

Agreed - and not to mention the build-up of DOCs.

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Ford Prefect wrote:
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.
Cheers,
Ford.
It's great for the garden. But, what are you doing with 40l changes a
week?? When I kept tropicals, I only did partial changes if water
parameters were off the normal. unnecessary changes will stress your
fish.

I kept tropical fish for years and I don't recall ever changing the water,
whole or partial.

Times and knowledge have changed and the accepted wisdom nowadays is to
do ten to fifteen percent regular water changes for the above-mentioned
reasons.
And the plants will love the nitrates. : )

--
Paul reply-to is valid