Old 28-04-2007, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Biblical Plants

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 bluebell wrote:

I have something called a Rose of Sharron. Rose of Sharron is Bibliucal.

But not perhaps the same plant which is called Rose of Sharon in the
Bible? That was one of the points of Stewart's posting.

I am an expert on the Bible as it happens. . You will have to go a long way
to establish what on earth any plant in the Bible would be in modern
parlance. They were not botanically trained. For them, any plant they
called the Rose of Sharon would be the the Rose of Sharon. So Biblically I
am correct. But thats another issue. No one will ever really know what
plant was the Rose of Sharon.

Quite right. There is only one reference to the Rose of Sharon in the
Bible. Song of Solomon, chapter 2, verse 1. "I am the rose of Sharon,
and the lily of the valleys." Absolutely no clue there as to what the
"Rose of Sharon" and the "Lily of the Valley" were. Indeed, it wasn't
describing plants but the interpretation put on it by scholars is that
they are descriptions of Christ. The connection with plants came much
more recently when gardeners wanted to give a Biblical reference to a
plant that they had.

So, there is no such thing as the Rose of Sharon as a plant in the
Bible!

David
--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK