Old 28-04-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Biblical Plants

In article ,
"bluebell" writes:

| I think you will find most mainstream philosophers / theologians ( including
| atheist ones these days!) and archeologists accept a person called Jesus ,
| probably an itinerant preacher ( there were many such in first century
| Palastine) , Jewish ( Jewish authjorities dont deny it) and aramaic speaking
| did exist and was cricified. He was not a made up figure or fairy tale He
| was not some conglomerate of many figures.
|
| Beyond that is conjecture and belief. ( ie whas he the long awaited
| Messiah of Judaism or a prophet ( as Islam believes) or the Son of God in
| Christian faith is neither here nor there is what I am suggesting.

That's not quite true. There is significant evidence that at least
some of his followers believed that he was the Messiah, not least
because he was crucified and not stoned.

And, returning to plants, there are some that we shall never be able
to identify - indeed, the names might well have been generic, not
specific - but there are others that are pretty clear from the
context. It is, however, effectively certain that Rose of Sharon
was NOT a Hebe, no matter what it was - Hebes are southern hemisphere
plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.