Old 28-04-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Biblical Plants

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 bluebell wrote:

Out of interest, what was the subject of the thesis for your doctorate?

Relationships, and in my case working toward a theology of cohabitation.
Thats where I got interested in language interpretations and culture in the
Bible. In order to establish a theology for cohabitation ( as oposed to
marriage but could include marriage) I had to deal with the language of
relationships that has been used in the Bible , OT and NT. and interpret
that for a modern age if you like.

Thing is, all of that which 15/ 20 years ago was revolutionary and cutting
edge is now accepted by the church and the seal was the C of E's report on
the family back in the early 1990's ( and I am in there ;-), so I quietly
went back to my plants.

Fascinating, and I would like to take this further but I fear that this
is not the place. I'm not sure we will agree on many things but that is
the joy of debate. :-)
I'll have to ask my daughter if she has a copy of this report.

All somewhat off topic now I fear. I have to go and strim my banks - a job I
started but will finish with difficulty now , and feed my tomatoes before
putting them to bed ;-)

And I'm afraid my attention has been somewhat disjointed as I have been
demolishing a privet hedge this afternoon (my word, it has made a lot of
compost!). But in this thread, perhaps you have let slip a possible
reason for misunderstanding Stewart's intentions and that is that
English is not your first language. Believe me, I could see nothing
offensive in what he wrote and I don't think anyone else could either.
He did seem genuinely trying to be helpful. In your own culture, or in
the cultures you have studied, maybe it seemed a bit abrupt but for us
English in the 21st century it was quite normal.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK