Old 28-04-2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Growing garlic

Travis M. wrote:
"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
. ..

Portland Oregon area

Suddenly have an urge to grow garlic.

Soil is well drained and loamy, has 3/4 day sun.

Plant from sets?

What time of year?

Thanks.

Plant sets in the fall.

Thank you.

Add sulphur to the soil?

Its already pretty acid due to the centuries of fri**ing Douglas fir
needle fall.

Should have figured the sets in the fall. Its a bulb after all.

I've had real good luck with shallots in the same general garden area
so I think I ought to try the garlic, too.

Shallots and garlic are reasonably small and I use them in cooking, bu
not in huge quanities.

Onions wouldn't work. They take too much room and I use too many. I
wouldnt be able to grow enough
volume. The soil is too clayish, despite years of compost and sand
amendment. And I don't want to only
do onions.