Old 28-04-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Coffee Plants

If by "down here" you mean Austin, TX, I buy my coffee in pound cans
by the case at Hong Kong Market on Research Blvd. aka 183. I pay
under four dollars a can. We've tried the Community Coffee brand and
didn't like it. They also sell vacuum bags of what they call CDM
which is actually Cafe du Monde coffee with chickory. I think I'll go
make a pot.

On 28 Apr 2007 08:54:57 -0700, BearDrummer
wrote:

Community Coffee is the brand down here...

On Apr 27, 7:11 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:39:22 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

wrote:
"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
link.net:

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and
harvest beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the
dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've
actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in
the continental US. :-)

Chickory root is supposed to be a good coffee substitute but I've never
tried it.

Not a substitute, an additive to make coffee go longer. After our
first time in New Orleans many years ago, we now exclusively drink
Cafe du Monde ground coffee with chickory. Talk about your thick
coffee! It tastes like it is much stronger than it actually is. I've
been looking all over for expresso to no avail. Maybe my mom can mail
us some from New York. Down here in the hinterlands they don't sell
expresso in the grocery.