Old 29-04-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] is offline

Default Growing garlic

Dwayne wrote:

I would either order the garlic I wanted or buy
some from the grocery store.
Break the cloves apart and separate them by
size. Use the small ones and plant the larger.

Find a bed that you will be able to keep up for
years. Plant the cloves 4 inches apart with the
pointed end up, in a row deep enough so you will
have
1/2 inch of dirt on top. They grow in almost
any soil. I raised it in
Arkansas (Acidic soil) and here now in Kansas
(neutral soil). I prefer the
elephant garlic over the strong ones. I add
fertilizer to the soil between
my harvest and the replanting of the next years
crop. I use 10-10-10, and
do it sparingly. I like to water the crop every
5 or so days when we don't get any rain.

I harvest mine when the tops start dying back
(end of June to first of August, depending upon
the year), cure them (wash the dirt off, cut all
but 6 to 8 inches of stem off, and lay them on
the floor of my garage for 10 to 15 days), and
then put them in the coolest room of the
basement until
September. Then I take out a bunch of the
largest, separate the cloves,
plant 100 of the biggest cloves and use or give
away the smaller. It last in my basement until
well into the next summer if I don't use it or
give it away.

Dwayne

If you do not harvest them, will they come up
again next spring?