Old 29-04-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_2_] Alan Holmes[_2_] is offline

Default Old Tropical Fish Tank Water Safe To Use On Plants?

"MELANIE MCDONALD" wrote in message
. uk...
I use the water from our water changes on the garden and the plants seem to
appreciate it!
And as for never doing any water changes - I wouldnt have liked to be one
of the fish in your tank/s! Partial (never full) water changes and regular
gravel vaccing are necessary otherwise you'd get a huge build up of
ammonia and nitrate over a period of months/years and I'd say that Ford
sounds like a responsible fish keeper if he does regular partial changes!

The tropical fish shops I used to sell my fish to never complained!

Mel.

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Ford Prefect wrote:
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.
Cheers,
Ford.
It's great for the garden. But, what are you doing with 40l changes a
week?? When I kept tropicals, I only did partial changes if water
parameters were off the normal. unnecessary changes will stress your
fish.

I kept tropical fish for years and I don't recall ever changing the
water, whole or partial.