Old 29-04-2007, 11:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
George[_6_] George[_6_] is offline

Default Types of fish

"Dude" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Phoenix AZ where the Summers get to 120 and the winters
usually dont get below 35 but they can. I was wondering other than my
Koi and various gold fish will any other species be able to live in
these water conditions?

Cheers,
Chris

The low temperature shouldn't be a problem. The high temperature can be a
huge problem, even for Koi and goldfish. I hope you shade your pond (not
that that would do much good if the ambient temperature is 120). If you
can spare the expense, you might consider adding a chiller to your system
(they are very pricey, though, especially if the piond is large). That
would allow you to grow more species than you likely can now. Barring
that, the larger the pond, the easier it is to maintain a constant moderate
temperature. Of course, at the high temperature range, evaporation is a
huge problem, as you no doubt, are aware. You might consider checking to
see what native species you can raise (you will likely have to check with
your state wildlife office to see what species are allowed).

George