Old 29-04-2007, 06:13 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default It didn't pay for me to start my own from seed.

In article .com,
James wrote:

Used peat pellets and planted pepper seeds on 4/5. Using my heating
pad I was able to get half of them sprouting after 10+ days. Now 24
days later they still don't have the true leaves yet.

James,
I also enjoy peppers, mostly sweet, but when I was freaking out over the
slow germination of my peppers last year, I ran into an injunction, on
several web sites, against using peat moss for germination. The
following is an example:

http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.growing.tips.html

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ever use peat pots, peat pellets, or potting soil
that is mostly peat."

"Everyone always asks "Why??" ---We don't know---It may be that the peat
is too acidic, or that there is something naturally in peat that
inhibits pepper seed germination? All we know, is that whenever anyone
has had problems with pepper seed germination, when the seeds have been
proven to have good germination when tested on top of moist cotton--part
of the problem has always been peat pellets, or potting soil that was
mostly peat. Miracle Grow Cactus mix is peat-free, as is the Supersoil
brand."
------
This naturally unnerved me a bit as the finishing touch to my pepper
nursery had been a light sprinkling of peat moss over the tray. After
about two weeks the peppers stuck their heads up through the soil and I
was in business. I still have habaneros from last year in the freezer. I
only use them in making Pico de Gallo because I can't get enough heat
from the jalapenos (but I prefer the flavor of jalapenos). I usually use
one habanero / 8 jalapenos. Good stuff. Of course, there are
consequences :-O

Good luck,

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)