Old 29-04-2007, 07:12 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
George[_4_] George[_4_] is offline

Default It didn't pay for me to start my own from seed.

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

Has anyone ever seen flats of heirloom tomatoes? I was really hoping to
have something different this year. All the local garden centers ever
have is the usual commercial varieties like Early Girls, Big Boys and
Romas.

Forget the big box places and look for a mom & pop nursery. In my area
the mom & pop places have tremendous quality plants because they are
grown locally and not trucked in from wherever the cheapest supplier is
located. One specializes in tomatoes and probably has 20 of the heirloom
varieties and dozens of others. Also even though the plants are higher
quality they sell for less than half of the big box places.