Old 29-04-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Weed killers

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/4/07 11:38, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/4/07 10:56, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:
snip

ps. I actually grow this beast as an ornamental plant --just one:-)

How do you keep the hogweed under control, Rupert? Do you prevent it
seeding or do you weed kill the seedlings?

--
Sacha
(remove weeds from address)

Once it has flowered and set seed I remove the whole flower head and dump
it
in the wormery.
I forget the names of the chemicals responsible for the burns but it is
only
active at a certain time of the season and certain individuals seem to be
more prone to bad reactions than others.
A thug of a plant and not to be messed with.
Having said all that, there is one online retailer of this plant:-)

A friend of ours got very badly burned trying to get one out of his
stream.
The seeds had been carried downstream to his garden and set up home. He
ended up in hospital and had the scars for a long time.
--
Sacha
(remove weeds from address)

Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
Join uk.rec.gardening instead.

That is http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk which Hubbard is advertising. Well
worth a look and full of lots of interesting information from lots of
sights.

Go and take a peek over the fence.

Mike

--