Old 29-04-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Types of fish

The temperature of your soil is probably 60-65oF. So the deeper your
pond (like 3 feet down) the cooler the pond will be. It is amazing
how cold water will stay when it has 85% shading over the top. My
friend in Alabama finally had to replace her shade cloth because her
swimming pool never warmed up enough.
An alternative is to have the pool so full of lilies that there is
very little surface unshaded.
Now ....... water sprayed into the air give off heat and the water
that falls back into the pond is cool. However, Arizona mist system
http://search.ebay.com/arizona-mist_W0QQfromZR40
is a way to keep cool and should be effective in keeping the pool
cooler if the above methods dont work. I personally got one of those
systems, complete with an outdoor fan to keep out bunnies cool in the
hot summer. Then I got one for our guests and while Jo Ann was here
visiting last summer I had a big bash in the backyard for her ... she
came in from antiquing and was going into one of her heat strokes but
I plopped her down with the misting all around her and a 6 pack of
Gatorade and she was fine in 1/2 hour.
I ended up ordering something like 24 of those units for friends who
even mailed them out to their friends in the hot SW.
I am assuming that the water coming out of the tap is around 65oF too.
at some point the heat will be so intense that you will need to turn
the waterfall off during the peak heat, but leave the air pump on to
make sure oxygen is getting in. keep the air pump shaded, of course.
for people with aquariums the suggesting is a clip on fan aimed across
the surface of the water but plugged into a ground fault interrupter.
Ingrid

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:03:06 CST, Dude wrote:
I live in Phoenix AZ where the Summers get to 120 and the winters
usually dont get below 35 but they can. I was wondering other than my
Koi and various gold fish will any other species be able to live in
these water conditions?

Cheers,
Chris