Old 29-04-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default Growing Grasses

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Omelet contains these words:

In article ,
Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:40:40 -0700, William Rose
wrote:
I want to grow psyllium and, flax but the only place left in my
garden
gets only 3 hours/day of full sun (and that's at the summer solstice).
The ground is amended clay. Zone 9. Rains usually start in
Oct./Nov. I'd
appreciate any input.

Neither is a grass. Psyllium is Plantago psyllium, related to the common
plantain of lawns. Flax is generally Linum usitatissimum, source of
linseed
oil and linen fabric.

It's also an annual. ie, for 6 months of the year the ground will
be bare. It's not a grass.

New Zealand Flax, aka phormium, NOT the blue-flowered source of
linsed oil, is a large perennial with spiky leaves..But it's not a
grass; iirc it's a member of the lily family.

Janet.

Thanks for your learned erudition. Don't get too excited over my
mistake. I'm sure it won't be my last. I suppose you could check my
spelling and punctuation. How did Freud describe that again?

Now, to the thrust of the posting, do you know how to grow the damn
things, flax or psyllium?

I await your enlightened response.

- Bill

Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)