Old 30-04-2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default Growing Grasses

In article ,
Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 22:04:59 -0700, William Rose wrote:
In article ,
Kay Lancaster wrote:

Neither is a grass.

Are they or are they not monocotyledons? In my botany class, monocots

were called grasses.

Both are dicots, and you should ask for your money back on the botany class.
Grasses are one family of monocots, as are palms, lilies, orchids,
sedges, rushes, etc. The group of monocots encompasses many families --
grasses (Gramineae or Poaceae) are just one family in the group of monocots,
aka Liliopsida.

Linum is in the Linaceae; Plantago in the Plantaginaceae. Don't get fooled by
narrow leaves and venation patterns when you're trying to figure out
monocot vs. dicot -- it's one of the least trustworthy characters.

Kay

Yes, wonderful. I as playing with the subject heading. I just want to
know if anyone has the vaguest idea of how to grow these plants and what
requirements they have. Excuse me for being lazy and asking a gardening
question when it is manifestly obvious that I will have to look it up
myself. Your answer is completely correct and totally useless. You don't
work for MicroSoft do you?

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)