Old 29-04-2007, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default locating underground stream

On 30/4/07 23:00, in article , "Keith
(Dorset)" wrote:

Hi Ken,

More on dowsing.

I once spent a summer living on a fairly remote farm on the north west coast
of Norway. One day the family brought in an elderly man who used a
coathanger to find the track of an underground stream there.

I was very suspicious of this at first, and OK, we didn't dig down to find
the/water. However, I did get to try the dowsing technique, and upon
instruction on how to hold it correctly, (this was over twenty years ago,
and I most likely couldn't do it now), the thing moved 'on its own', just as
appeared to do for him. I certainly didn't 'make it'.

It might just be worth getting someone in to try this.

snip

It most certainly moves on its own. You're quite right. If you have the
'gift' there is no doubt about what you feel. I've used forked twigs, metal
coat hangers set at right angles into wooden handles, plastic packing frame
strips joined by plastic tape, and my own bare hands. A month or two ago I
cut some forked bits out of a hazel hedge and we all had a go in the field.
Some 'got it', some got nothing. What was interesting was one of the cynics
'getting it' and being truly amazed at the feeling that came into his hands.
Once the dowsing instrument reacts, you can't stop it or control it without
letting go of it. I've had the skin nearly taken off my hands by a rough
piece of wood.
So - get a pliable forked branch about 2' long. Hold the forked ends in
each hand at about waist level, bending them outwards and giving them just
enough tension to feel it. If you can dowse, the rod will move either
upwards or downwards for you. Everyone has their own particular reaction.
In my case, when I dowse, I feel something in my hands before the instrument
reacts but I simply cannot describe it. It's just an 'awareness' and then
the twig or metal rod, or whatever, does its thing.
If it doesn't work for you, try working with a dowser who is know to have
the ability. For this, you will find a forked twig best. Hold one form of
the twig in e.g. your left hand while the dowser holds the other fork in his
right hand. Hold his or her unoccupied hand. As he gets the reaction, you
will feel it, too.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk