Old 30-04-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] nobody@junk.min.net is offline

Default Long, thin, black critter

In .com, on 04/27/07
at 04:20 PM, Phyllis and Jim said:

Black racers are not tameable. We used to have one...it struck and
struck. Never got used to being handled. Corn snakes made good pets.

Black rat snakes are more tameable. In my pre-quadhood days, I caught one
that tamed down almost immediately. He liked hanging around my neck
(because our necks are warm, snakes like that warmth. Problems can arise
with big constrictors, if they start to squeeze - past a certain size,
they shouldn't be placed around a person's neck unless someone else is
there to unwrap the snake, starting at the tail. That's how some dumb
snake owners get killed by their pets. Not a problem with our native
constrictors, as they can be unwrapped by the person they're on.) At that
time, I worked at a summer day camp as the nature guy, and I used to take
him along sometimes. They had a pond there for canoeing, and I'd
occasionally put him down on one side, and pick him up on the other side.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21