Old 30-04-2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default bristlecone pine as houseplant?

"Max Jones" no-email.please.com wrote in message
6...
Hi, a friend recently gave me a small bristlecone pine tree. I'm wondering
how it would do as a houseplant?

What soil should I plant it in? How often would it like to be watered? How
slowly will it grow?

Thanks!

Max

I think it would probably do just fine indoors. As for the soil, I believe
a sandy/rocky soil is best, but I'd definitely get a second opinion there.
Only problem that I can see is that it would require a pretty damn big pot
to grow it in, but you might be able to curb that if you turned it into one
of those Bonzai thingies. If you do manage to get it to grow, it will
outlive you that's for damn sure.

Those ones in California grow very slowly and look gnarled and such - but
that may really only be a property of where they're growing. Take it out of
that harsh hostile environment and they may grow quite rapidly (for a tree).