Old 30-04-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Climbers

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| "Chris" wrote...
|
| I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to plants/gardening hence

any
| advice appreciated.
|
| Can any 1 out there in cyberspace recommend an evergreen, fast

growing,
| hardy climber. Flowers would be nice aswell - if such a plant

actually
| exists.
|
| You don't say where abouts you are so some may not do well where you
| are...what's hardy for me may not be for you.

Quite. In the coldest parts of the country, the answer is ivy. There
is no other. I have heard mixed reports about Hedera colchica, but
most varieties of Hedera helix are completely hardy.

| Antway, a browse in my books shows.....
| Jasminum polyanthum and officinale
| Clianthus pumiceus (red or white available)
| Trachelospermum jasminoides
| Berberidopsis corallina
| Mutisia decurrens (can be difficult at first)
| There is also a Clematis whose name escapes me.

Sorry, but it is complete nonsense, outside the warmest parts of the
UK. What books were those?

In most places, Clematis armandii is hardy with a little protection
from the wind but it gets iffy beyond that. All of the jasmines and
honeysuckles are either tender or effectively deciduous in what were
normal winters in most of England up until a decade ago. And those
winters may return. Near the south and west coasts and in London,
there is a MUCH longer list.

Sorry, Charlie, but NONE of your list is reliably hardy AND reliably
evergreen in such winters, to my certain knowledge. Except for
L. henryi, which I didn't grow then, but which is said to be slightly
tender by comparison with L. japonica.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

In that case the only advice is to move! :~))

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk