Old 30-04-2007, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Climbers

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| Sorry, Charlie, but NONE of your list is reliably hardy AND reliably
| evergreen in such winters, to my certain knowledge. Except for
| L. henryi, which I didn't grow then, but which is said to be slightly
| tender by comparison with L. japonica.
|
| In that case the only advice is to move! :~))

Well, yes, but the only real problem is wanting them evergreen;
much as with hedges, where there are just two reliably hardy and
reliably evergreen ones that make good hedges: holly and yew.
[ Yes, conifers can be used, but you can't restore them after
serious neglect. ]

I can grow many of the nominally evergreen climbers, but few are
reliably evergreen here. It's not a catastrophic loss.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.