Old 30-04-2007, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_2_] Alan Holmes[_2_] is offline

Default Old Tropical Fish Tank Water Safe To Use On Plants?

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
medico wrote:
OP put back at the top where it belongs
"Ford Prefect" wrote in message
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the waste
water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to garden
plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be doing some
good in the garden instead.

Unless you're keeping marine or brackish water fish the water (and added
fish waste products) should do most plants good.

If your fish like alkaline water, then obviously don't give it to
lime-hating plants, but otherwise it should be fine.

When I had a tropical tank I always put the waste water on the garden
and never boticed any ill-effects.

Why O Why are you depriving the fish of their water??
A good fish keeper wouldn't change any water in two years.

Nonsense. The accumulated waste would kill the fish long before that,
even with good filtration.

What accumulated waste would that be?

As I've said, I kept fish for many years and none of them died, and the only
filtration was drawing water down through the silt at the bottom of the
tank, and never had a change of water, this was, of course, before
unrequired gadgets were developed and sold to idiots who were lead to
believe they were essential.

I'd just like to remind you that people have been keeping fish in tanks for
over 70 years, without all the modern stuff.

Fresh tap water is harmful to fish.

Never bothered mine, I always left the water for a few days before
introducing the fish.

Which is why you put dechlorinator in it, or let it stand for several
hours before adding it if you have a container big enough, as any
sensible fishkeeper knows.

No such things as declorinators 50 years ago.

Are you by any chance a seller of uneccessary fish stuff?

Alan

--
Carol
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"