Old 30-04-2007, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space[_2_] Space[_2_] is offline

Default Rats in the compost bin

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Keith \(Dorset\)" writes:

| We used to get rats in our compost but when I stopped putting all
cooked
| food in (except veg.) the rates stopped completely and have never
returned.

| I now put any bones, fat and meat scraps, of which there are very few,
into
| a dedicate metal dustbin where I leave it for about a year or so to
| 'completely' decompose.

I have never had that problem. When they do visit the heap, it is
for nesting and the worms.

hhmm, now that I know compost bins aren't smelly another problem arises. we
get rats in the field behind us. I haven't seen any in the garden. but
that's not to say they don't dare enter our garden (despite having three
cats).

the rats go into next doors garden to chew on the fallen apples.

and now I have ordered a compost bin. that just means potentially more dead
rats care of one of my cats!!