Old 30-04-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Climbers

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after ((SNIP))
"Bob Hobden" replied to:
| "Chris" who wrote...
|
| I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to plants/gardening hence
any
| advice appreciated.
|
| Can any 1 out there in cyberspace recommend an evergreen, fast
growing,
| hardy climber. Flowers would be nice aswell - if such a plant
actually
| exists.
|
| You don't say where abouts you are so some may not do well where you
| are...what's hardy for me may not be for you.

Quite. In the coldest parts of the country, the answer is ivy. There
is no other. I have heard mixed reports about Hedera colchica, but
most varieties of Hedera helix are completely hardy.

| Antway, a browse in my books shows.....
| Jasminum polyanthum and officinale
| Clianthus pumiceus (red or white available)
| Trachelospermum jasminoides
| Berberidopsis corallina
| Mutisia decurrens (can be difficult at first)
| There is also a Clematis whose name escapes me.

Sorry, but it is complete nonsense, outside the warmest parts of the
UK. What books were those?

That's why I mentioned about "hardy" being relative to position in the UK.
Most would probably be OK for me unless we have a very cold winter like
years ago, certainly Jasminum is rampant and completely evergreen in
sis-in-laws garden over Hampton way.

--
Regards
Bob H