Old 30-04-2007, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Les Hemmings Les Hemmings is offline

Default Rats in the compost bin

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Keith \(Dorset\)" writes:

We used to get rats in our compost but when I stopped putting all
cooked food in (except veg.) the rates stopped completely and have
never returned.

I now put any bones, fat and meat scraps, of which there are very
few, into a dedicate metal dustbin where I leave it for about a
year or so to 'completely' decompose.

I have never had that problem. When they do visit the heap, it is
for nesting and the worms.

Ours made a nest in the top of the bin. Warmth from the compost process in
the winter, bits of veg to nibble and lots of worms. Rat heaven!

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"This is totally not a shark!"