Old 30-04-2007, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Climbers

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| That's why I mentioned about "hardy" being relative to position in the UK.
| Most would probably be OK for me unless we have a very cold winter like
| years ago, certainly Jasminum is rampant and completely evergreen in
| sis-in-laws garden over Hampton way.

J. officinale is definitely deciduous throughout most of England, except
for the south, west and London. Bean states that J. polyanthum must
have protection even at Kew. But note that many locations against
houses do count as protection.

You don't need a very cold winter - anything except a very mild one
will cause the effects I am referring to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.