Old 30-04-2007, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default locating underground stream

On 30/4/07 22:49, in article , "Des
Higgins" wrote:

snip
If you give patients inert tablets and tell them that they contain active
drug; the patients will report an (placebo) effect. Most of them will tell
you the tablets worked. To test if a drug works or not you have to give
half the test patients a placebo and half the drug and neither the patients
nor the administers must know which are which. If there is then a
significant difference between the real and placebo drug groups, then the
treatment works. When Homeopathy has been tested in this way, no one has
found an effect. This says that the effects are imaginary. As it happens,
the underlying theory that is used to explain homeopathy is daft
(scientifically) but if the double blind tests had worked then we would have
to accept or explain them. They didn't so the daft explanations are then
especially silly.

Des

Perhaps you're right. You don't give me 'most patient' figures but you
expect me to believe you. ;-) Broadly speaking, I tell you that homoeopathy
works and you talk of placebo effects on patients. But the patients were
cows and they had less mastitis. I just do not remember if the programme
showed a double blind test or not but the fact is that the cows with the
homoeopathic remedy had less mastitis than they'd had before and they didn't
know they were being given anything at all.
A homeopath friend of mine gave Borax (IIRC) to all her farming friends on
Dartmoor during the Foot & Mouth crisis. They put it into the drinking
water for their cattle. Not one of those farms got F&M while it was raging
all around them.
I've used arnica for years and for me, it works. Whether that's 'all in the
mind' or not, I really don't know or care - it works.
What I *would* object to, most strenuously, is somebody telling people they
don't need alopathic medicine or 'real' doctors or 'real' treatment etc.
That is why, when these things are discussed, I prefer the term
'complementary', rather than 'alternative' medicine. I think the two
opposing views might sometimes find a common ground. All I can say is that
I know dowsing works and that for me, so do some aspects of homoeopathy.
After all, nobody is forced into using either. It's not as if someone says
you can't have treatment on the NHS unless you've tried homoeopathy first,
or vice versa.
In the medical practice we use, there is one doctor trained in both
disciplines and he uses them accordingly. I think that's an extremely
interesting and worthwhile concept.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk