Old 30-04-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Wild Garlic

Des Higgins wrote:
"John McMillan" wrote in message
In article ,
"Des Higgins" wrote:

"John Nolan" wrote in message
.uk...
In article , "Des Higgins"
wrote:
It is an interesting point. Are you alowed to "weed"
weeds in your own garden if the plant is technically protected
elsewhere?

Well, see "cowslips" in another thread. I transplant mine to help
save them,
and have given some plants to friends. If any of you are
intereeted in seeds, email me.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my original posting re. wild
garlic.

My wife and I had an excellent omelette with chopped up garlic
leaves. Also
I have dried some for future use. I found the stalks are quite
succulent,
too. This is the wild garlic with longish leaves with a shape like
an elongated ellipse that is pointed. No time to look up the
correct name.

That one is Allium ursinum or Ramsoms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsons
says it gets it name cos bears like them so watch out.
Wild garlic is fine as a name though and easier to remember :-)

The one with bright white flowers and triangular stems is Allium
triquetrum
or 3 cornered leek (or something like that).
It is pretty but invasive and not native (at least not here in Irl).

Allium triquetrum in Co. Cork; R. A. Phillips Irish Naturalist V
(1896) 167.

isn't google wonderful....

There is no hiding anyway :-)
I lived in Cork until 4 years ago and my back garden was full of the
stuff.

And there I was on a rather exposed site in West Wales, losing it: it
seems to be very sensitive to temperature and maybe drainage. Over in
GB, Cornwall and South Devon seem to suit it well, but a few degrees
make all the difference between invasiveness and wimpishness. I'd be
interested to know in how much of Ireland it's a thug.

--
Mike.