Old 01-05-2007, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tennis maynard tennis maynard is offline

Default Paph/Light Question

Diana Kulaga wrote:
All,

We are not Paph heavy. But we do have a few, and would like to grow more of
them. They seem to be doing fairly well, but reblooming is something of a
problem. I've heard that Paphs need more light than the conventional wisdom
dictates.

We were growing them with the Phals, which get good but muted light, but I
don't think that's enough. What kind of light candle measure would you Paph
growers recommend? We have a shelf that gets dapple morning sun til about
1:00, or another area that gets heavier (still screened, of course)
afternoon sun from around 1:00 til maybe 6:00. Both have good light and air
circulation all day.

My inclination is toward the AM area. What think you?

TIA
Diana

Depends. The strap-leaf types (i.e., roth, philippinense, etc.) can take
and require substantial light. In fac (kids, don't try this at home)
some roths and some phils have been found in full sun/nearly full sun in
situ. The mottled-leaf types (callosums, most vinis, etc.) don't handle
that much light well. So too for most of the parvis and brachys,
although I have heard some of those do well with a bit more light (i.e.,
emersonii, hangianum, that gruop). So I'd say maybe the mornings for the
lower-light ones and the afternoon light for the higher light types. But
remember, just like people, plants can burn easily and should be moved
to higher light gradually and carefully.