Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Cyli Cyli is offline

Default What are small black insects flying over pond?

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:40:34 CST, kthirtya wrote:

Davy wrote But if gnats, why were they hunting over the surface?

We may be having a word association mix up here.
Biting and blood sucking gnat-type critters are called
mosquitoes on the North American side of the pond.

Not really. We have gnats that bite and gnats that don't bite and the
mosquitos that are distinct from gnats over here on our side of the
Atlantic.

They fly over the surface to lay eggs or right after they hatch from
eggs. If you'd read up on fly fishing, you'd find out more about tiny
water breeding bugs than you'd ever want to know. Fish who can jump
eat the bugs that come too close to the water. Fish that are deeper
eat the bugs as they come out of the eggs and swim to the surface. Fly
fishermen make little imitation bugs and catch fish with them.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli