Old 01-05-2007, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Rats in the compost bin

I am sure what we used to do would be illegal now.
JOHN

The rules must vary across the EU. Gin traps (not sure on the spelling of
gin / jin) have been illegal in the UK for many years. My father used to
have some in England, presumably for catching rats. I remember seeing a
rabbit's leg in one as a child. The jaws were so powerful it must have just
severed the leg from the rabbit. No sign of the rabbit though!

Here in France most garden centres stock them, plus much larger ones - not
as large as bear traps but certainly big enough to catch the likes of
badgers or foxes. Not sure if that is what they are intended to catch but
they look lethal with wide spring loaded serrated jaws. They are certainly
large enough to make a nasty mess of a child's foot.

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk