Old 01-05-2007, 02:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Help preparing for Winter.

On Tue, 1 May 2007 06:31:25 CST, "Bindi"
wrote:

I don't get really cold weather here. It might go down to 1o C
overnight sometimes and around 14oC daytime average
mid-winter but apart from that it is fairly mild.

What sort of changes would you make to your feeding routines
at this time of year if you were me?

Any help would be great!

I'm in Middle Georgia USA and have a similar winter, sometimes I get a
sliver of ice on top of the pond and it goes away in a few days. I
reduce feeding, but don't find it necessary to stop feeding every
year. When the water temperature gets below 40F the fish will stop
coming to the top for food, so I don't feed them, but that doesn't
last but a few days..

I understand big changes have to be made where the pond is covered
with ice for sometimes 3 or 4 months. Some think I'm a cruel pond
keeper and rant about food rotting in the fish gut, but it never
happened to me and many of my local friends who feed all winter.

I run pumps and use the filter all year too. The filter becomes
useless when the water temperature gets into the 50's, but I have no
better place to keep it. I do add .1% salt during the coldest part
of winter, just before it warms up and allow it to disappear over the
summer. Theory behind the .1% salt is to stimulate the slime coat on
the fish and help them shed parasites that wake up before the fish's
immune system as the temperature climbs.

Regards,

Hal