Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Plant Labels

"David (Normandy)" writes
I find it better when using plant labels just to write a number on them and
have a sheet of paper (or on the computer) with details of what is planted
against each number.

There are three advantages to this:
1) There is more room to write information such as where the seeds or
cuttings etc came from, when planted, variety and any other notes.
2) By just having a number on the plant label, the number can be written in
several places on the label so it appears on both sides and both above and
below ground (the below ground number doesn't fade so fast).
3) The labels can be reused without needing to rub anything out. Just update
the sheet of paper or computer record.

And one disadvantage! - that you need to go and look up your piece of
paper. I used to have a card index for the cacti, but I wasn't very good
at updating it.

I stick everything on the label - date of sowing, date it needs to go in
the fridge for stratifying and come out again ...

Pencil doesn't fade, and can be rubbed out for overwriting for the next
batch

I don't use labels for long term things. So far I've relied on memory
for the things I'm really interested in, but I will probably go to paper
for that (without separate numbers - I'll just indicate the position in
the garden, do a plan if necessary). I have a paper record of the apple
trees, with their picking and storing times.
--
Kay