Old 01-05-2007, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Climbers

In article ,
"BoyPete" writes:
| Chris wrote:
|
| I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to plants/gardening hence any
| advice appreciated.
|
| Can any 1 out there in cyberspace recommend an evergreen, fast
| growing, hardy climber. Flowers would be nice aswell - if such a
| plant actually exists.
|
| I recently bought a Pyracantha 'Golden Charmer' (Don't know the Latin),
| which, according to the label, would suit Chris's request.
| Comments?

It's not a climber, though it can be pruned to lie against a wall.
Given suitable conditions, it grows 6' in a season (with new stems
over 1" at the base), equipped with vicious thorns. The main reason
for treating it as a wall shrub is to restrict its root run, and so
make it grow more slowly.

It's also not reliably evergreen in the UK, outside the warmer parts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.