Old 01-05-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete BoyPete is offline

Default Old Tropical Fish Tank Water Safe To Use On Plants?

Ken Castro wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:19:51 +0100, "BoyPete"
wrote:

Ford Prefect wrote:
I keep a couple of tropical fish tanks and was wondering if the
waste water after water changes would be benificial or harmful to
garden plants, seems a shame to flush 40l a week if it could be
doing some good in the garden instead.
Cheers,
Ford.

It's great for the garden. But, what are you doing with 40l changes
a week?? When I kept tropicals, I only did partial changes if water
parameters were off the normal. unnecessary changes will stress
your fish.

Large tank? Lots of tanks?

At one time, 4 four foot tanks, plus a breeding tank. I mainly used an
undergravel filter, plus an external and a powerhead. Over about 8 years of
fish keeping, losses were minimal. (Like, 1 a year) I now keep Koi and
variaties of goldfish in a pond. I know some people who advocate 10% water
changes in ponds too. 'Fishpoo'!! Apart from a good filter system, I use a
pond vac to keep things clean. Water parameters are fine, fish healthy, and
breeding like mad!
Good filtration, good planting, good housekeeping = no water changes.

--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK