Old 02-05-2007, 07:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rudy Canoza Rudy Canoza is offline

Default Peach Trees in Minnesota

wendymg wrote:
I am looking at trying to grow a peach tree in Minnesota where it can
get very cold in winter. We tried to grow one a few years ago with no
luck. We are looking at getting a Bailey Peach tree, they sell them
locally around here.

That last - local availability - tells you nothing.
Nurseries will sell you anything.

Here in Southern California (Pasadena), nurseries sell
all kinds of fruit trees that are unsuitable for the
region. In our case, it's usually trees that need more
chilling hours (vernalization) than we get around here;
likely the reverse of your problem. I bought a bare
root pear tree (Comice) a few years ago, and that thing
has done nothing. It puts out some attractive leaves,
but it hasn't flowered in the six years I've had it. I
bought a bare root cherry tree (Stella), which
supposedly had low chilling requirement, and in the
first three years in which it might have born fruit, I
got two, one and zero cherries from it. This year, it
has about 25-30 cherries growing on it, and I'll get,
inshallah, a dozen or fifteen if I can control the
stinking squirrels and birds.

I am unable to find a whole lot of good info
online. From what I know they grow in zones 5+, MN is zone 4. Can
anyone give me some info on Bailey's or suggest a good peach for MN we
have also considered reliance but they are hard to find. Thanks.