Old 02-05-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Please help ID this plant

Where was the photo taken?

In central Maryland.

Makes Acer negundo a whole lot more possible then... if you said you'd
taken the photo in, say, Italy, I'd consider it a whole lot less likely.
(Native range of A. negundo:
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/acer/negundo.htm )

There just isn't enough detail apparent in the photo to make me 100%
comfortable with calling it "for sure". But it sure looks like the
box elder seedlings I used to lead my botany students into and then
ask them what they were standing in, after they'd all assured me they
knew what poison ivy looked like and always avoided it. After they
came back down from attempting to levitate above "omg! poison ivy! and
I'm standing in it!" they were much more likely to stay out of PI for
real, and chuckle everytime we found more box elder.

Trying to id plants from a single photo is just not an easy thing to do.
Probabilities, not certainties, in most cases.

Kay