Old 28-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Ercilla volubilis (was: Clematis montana)

In article ,
Roger Van Loon wrote:

By the way, Nick, knowing where you are - do you know if Ercilla
volubilis, in the open, is in the (very extensive and fascinating)
Cambridge botanical garden? I can't remember seeing it there - but
then, I just was there once, some years ago.
Just wondering how hardy it really is.

I haven't seen it, but that doesn't prove anything. Cambridge Botanic
Garden is no Kew, but is big enough to hide quite a lot!

Perhaps more relevantly, it is fairly warm by Cambridge standards.
Not just because of its location in the city, but because of the way
it uses shelter belts. My garden is a lot colder and only 3 miles
away! I am trying to copy some of its planting strategies in a VERY
small way.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren