Old 02-05-2007, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] aspasia@adelphia.net is offline

Default Heating Seeds On Fridge?

OOps- excuse top posting; I didn't realize this was posted
to more than one NG. However...if anyone finds it informative...

Persephone

On Wed, 02 May 2007 09:13:58 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:36:31 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

Persephone wrote in :

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:37:21 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

zxcvbob wrote in news:59lbftF2j2tvaU1
:

The best results I've ever had was this year when I took some
unusually-hard-to-sprout pepper seeds to work, planted in a
Tupperware container and put them on the back of my computer monitor
during the days. I took them off at night and removed the lids and
let them cool off and breathe. I got almost 100% germination in
about a week and the seedlings are now strong and healthy. Last
year the same seeds took almost a month to get maybe 10% germination
and the seedlings were weak not a single one survived. The bottom
heat was the only difference.

Funny you should mention that. When I make no-knead bread I put it on
my computer monitor to rise -- works like a charm.

Dang, cain't do thet nohow on flat screen...

Mebbe heating pad on low setting?

Persephone

For the seeds or the bread?

I've heard of people using that for seeds.

Hmmm...seeds, I guess. Never made no-knead bread.
A friend of mine used a bread machine, but I don't know if that
qualifies for "no-knead".

BTW - the Chinese, who were way ahead of us on much* --
the peasants channeled the heat from their household fires into pipes
that ran under the ground and provided nice heat for germinating
seeds.

* of course they're STILL ahead of us on environmental pollution,
summary executions, imprisonment for free speech/writing,
and now contaminated pet food. There were recently articles in the
media about how that plastic waste melamine had been used to bulk up
"protein" for years to unwitting users in China itself. One can see
how they could get away with it in a totalitarian state, but it's
hard to excuse exporting this stuff to the U.S.

Hard? Not at all! The ******* Administration has CUT the FDA
inspection resources, while we are importing four times as much
food as in the past. (Foreign food exporters laugh behind their hands,
knowing how easy it is to dump bad food in the U.S. because of the
dearth of inspection resources.)

Somehow that equation doesn't work out. But wait! It is more
important -- rather than adequately fund the FDA -- to use our money
to kill our soldiers in Iraq, kill innocent Iraqui civilians, AND
enrich the Halliburton-type contractors as well as our
private mercenary armies** doing business Over There.

**Which number almost as many as the "official" army figures
quoted by the Pentagon.

Persephone