Old 02-05-2007, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WaltA WaltA is offline

Default Old Tropical Fish Tank Water Safe To Use On Plants?

On Wed, 2 May 2007 11:29:06 +0100, (Carol Hague)
wrote:
Sorry, I'd got it backwards ! I thought it was nitrates turning into
nitrites, but you're right, it's the other way round. They'll be asking
me to hand in my Chemistry O level at this rate :-)

Hehee, no worries,
(pokerface) I see you an O and raise you an A **[/pokerface)
but I could see that you were a serious student of the art whereas we
must take pity upon poor Alan and try to gently introduce him to
concepts of best practice (contrary to his announced determinant of
good husbandry as being "no fish died" ! )

But from an amateur (casual student) point of view the water chemistry
of ur average fish tank is Quite Interesting

**I have to admit that I lost track of itall at about that stage, all
that organic stuff and amino acids and DNA and fings seriously worried
me so I took the easier road and went on to maths phys. and electrical
engineering ;-!)

Alan seems to be saying (if not insisting) that water changes are
completely unnecessary however,

Yes he did seem to be saying that, but we know better, and he does
need to be gently re-introduced to the real world from time to time
[poor ol thing !]
and his judgement of what is and is not necessary against which
expected results could be called into question at much greater length
than I am willing to give him,
But we must humour his little trolls from time to time.

which was what I was arguing against.

you were indeed, and I do agree with you, we just had a wee bitty bit
of chemistry to get out of the way first ! !

anyone for going to uk.rec.aquaria.misc ??

We have wandered a bit off topic now, I guess - sorry about that.

No prob. one of the beauties of usenet newsgroups
I did leave a responsible gap between FP getting an answer to his
fundamental question and the subsequent deviation