Old 02-05-2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alexander Miller @dot.dot.dot Alexander Miller @dot.dot.dot is offline

Default Composting wood waste?

Kay Lancaster wrote, in part:

|I live in an area with poor, rocky, heavy clay soils, and a warmish, wet
|winter and dry summers. I get the local tree-trimming crews for the
|power company to drop off a load of chips when I spot them around, and I
|spread them out on the soil into a layer about 8" deep and have just
|let them rot as they are.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. We have similar conditions. Those chips you're
getting would be more like chunks than shavings, I guess. I haven't seen the
output from those mobile chippers. Are the pieces about one inch max size?

Alexander