Old 28-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Rod

Default sweet blackcurrent

"ned" wrote in message
anton wrote:

snip
By the way, what variety of blackcurrant are you classing as
'sweet'? I have, I admit, a sweet tooth, so maybe my opinion
doesn't count- but I've never tasted a sweet blackcurrant yet.

I'm glad you said that. ;-)
'Thought it was just me.

--
ned

There are some with a rather less powerful 'blackcurrant' flavour though.
I'm thinking of those relatively modern ones usually called Ben *.* - Ben
Sarek(sp?) iirc without going to the books is one we've got. Just a bit
acidy and insipid compared with the old ones like Wellington xxx but
certainly not sweet. Anybody noticed though that very ripe fruits of these
and many other acid fruits are just about edible raw but if cooked need a
mountain of sugar to make them acceptable. Chemistry Anton?

Rod